I thought I would kickoff a new blog category. This new category is called Weekend Getaways. Team Tapper loves to travel, but more importantly we like to travel right; we want the best experience for the best price.
So, this past weekend I took a business/pleasure trip to Las Vegas, NV. This was my second trip to Las Vegas. The first time, I booked my flight 3 months in advance and still paid around $300 round-trip. This time I found an amazing deal with a new airline; Virgin America. They are offering a 1-way ticket from San Francisco International (SFO) Airport to Las Vegas’ McCarran International Airport (LAS) for only $69. I was hesitant because this is a new airline, but I couldn’t pass up this deal.
I arrived at SFO’s International Terminal where Virgin online casino America is located. The staff at the check-in counter was very social and friendly. Most importantly, the plane was on-time. Upon boarding it was evident this Virgin airplane was headed for Vegas; the plane décor included a first class separated by purple plexiglass, economy had all black leather seats, stark white cabin walls and seat frames, purple and blue neon accent lighting, and individual televisions for every seat (that are bigger than JetBlue’s individual televisions).
The best part about the flight, the televisions in every seat weren’t only televisions. They were interactive media systems called, “RED beta” units. These media systems offered tons of features including:
– Normal Satellite Television
– Premium Satellite Television (HBO, Showtime, etc. “On-Demand” style shows offered at $.99 a show; except 5 episodes of HBO’s hit series Entourage were free)
– Movies (offered at $1.99 a movie)
– Free Video Games (such as Doom, Taipei, Solitaire, etc.)
– Internet (the back of your remote has a full keyboard)
– Meal Ordering (You can order everything from champagne to candy bars using your credit card and a flight attendant will deliver it to your seat)
– On-Board Chat rooms (you can chat seat-to-seat or enter a chat room that allows you to talk to everyone on the plane)
Both were great flights. Overall, great experience! Virgin is my airline choice for my flights to Vegas. Check their website for more destinations.